In this episode, we are joined by Sammy White. Sammy is a former maths teacher with experience in a wide variety of settings including alternative provision (AP), further education (FE) and secondary. She is currently a teaching & learning specialist at TextHelp. Sammy is also recognised as one of ‘The EdTech 50’ for 2021.
In this episode we discussed ‘Engagement, support and boundaries- relationships between parents and educators’
Here are some of the questions I asked:
- You are both a mum and an educator. Can you tell us a bit about if and how that impacts on your relationship with your children's teacher?
- What kind of professional boundaries have you needed to set and how would you advise others to go about setting their own?
- As a parent how do you feel schools engage parents well, and where do you see potential for improvements?
- What is the role of EdTech in parental engagement and how can schools best utilise this?
- Speaking of EdTech, you recently attended the Bett show! (It was amazing to meet you there by the way) Can you tell our listeners a little about what Bett is and your experience there?
- Coming back to parental engagement, you wrote an article for R.I.S.E. Magazine about maths anxiety in parents- could you talk a little more about what kind of anxieties you found parents have?
- Is parental anxiety in mathematics more common than in other subjects and if so why do you think that is?
- How can educators best support parents in overcoming their anxieties of supporting their child with maths?
- How can people get in touch with you and find out more about what you do?
You can follow Sammy on Twitter at @WhatTheTrigMath
You can also check out her website and YouTube channel
You can follow me (Kat Cauchi) on Twitter at @ReallyschoolK
Check out #OPIP and #OfPrimaryImportance for more content