Episode 21 - Developing mental fitness in younger students
Welcome back to Of Primary Importance!
In this podcast series we are exploring all things EYFS and primary with different topics and special guests each fortnight.
In this episode, I am joined by Jez Belas to talk about ‘Developing mental fitness in younger students.’ Jez is a former Director of Sport and PE teacher turned Co-founder and Engagement Director of wellbeing company youHQ . He is passionate about mental and physical fitness and would like to see more time and resource dedicated to this in schools.
Here are some of the questions I asked Jez:
• Could you please introduce yourself to our listeners?
• Can you give an overview of youHQ and what you do?
• How would you define ‘mental fitness?’
• What factors do you think have caused the increase in demand for social and emotional support for primary pupils?
• Why do you think it will have a big impact to have mental fitness training for younger pupils (before secondary school)?
• How can schools develop the mental fitness of young pupils?
• What are the challenges for schools in supporting mental fitness?
• Can you talk more about the link between physical and mental fitness and how schools can utilise that link?
• Where can schools go to get in touch with you and to access support and resources?
You can follow youHQ on Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube . You can also check out their website and connect with Jez Belas on LinkedIn.
You can follow me (Kat Cauchi) on Twitter at @ReallyschoolK
Check out #OPIP and #OfPrimaryImportance for more content. If you are interested on coming on the show or have a topic suggestion, send me a DM!
Kat Cauchi is the Product Manager of ReallySchool and the Editor of R.I.S.E. Magazine.
She is also a former Primary School Teacher, Member of the Global Equality Collective, Technocamps GiST Role Model, and Global EdTech Author.